Global Change Seminar "It's Your Move!"
Rank Order Values Questionnaire¹
For each of the following questions, rank each of the response choices by putting a "1" next to your top preference, a "2" beside the next pick, a "3" beside your third choice, etc.
1. If you were president, to which would you give the highest priority?
- __ space exploration
- __ anti-poverty programs
- __ defense
- __ national health care
- __ environmental protection
- __ energy policy
2. Which do you think is most harmful?
- __ cigarettes
- __ marijuana
- __ alcohol
3. If your country was engaged in a war you opposed and you were about to be drafted, which would you do?
- __ enter the armed forces
- __ find a loophole and avoid
- __ leave the country
- __ go to jail
4. If you wished to protest something that your government was doing, which would you be the least willing to do?
- __ take part in a demonstration
- __ organize a demonstration
- __ sign a petition
- __ write your congressperson
- __ write the president
- __ write a letter to the editor
5. Which would you give up if you had to?
- __ your current level of economic freedom
- __ religious freedom
- __ political freedom
- __ freedom of speech
- __ freedom to marry whom you choose
6. What is the most serious problem confronting the big cities in your country?
- __ health
- __ hunger
- __ education
- __ transportation
- __ homelessness
- __ drugs
- __ crime
- __ pollution
- __ corruption
7. If you passionately supported a particular public policy (such as a war, capital punishment, abortion rights, etc.) and you found your friend was adamantly opposed to it would you
- __ discontinue the relationship
- __ overlook the discrepancy in views and ignore the subject
- __ argue with him/her and try to change his/her viewpoint
- __ listen to his/her point of view and consider changing your own
8. Which would be the best method to alleviate the global population problem?
- __ limit each family to two children
- __ encourage voluntary sterilization
- __ keep abortion legal
- __ distribute birth control information widely
- __ undertake a media campaign to make it "not cool" to have
a large family
- __ trust people's common sense to limit the size of their
9. How would you solve the impending social security funding problem for the US?
- __ leave things as they are
- __ privatize the system
- __ support the system through general tax increases
- __ raise the retirement age as needed
- __do further study of the
¹ This exercise is adapted from Values Clarification: A Practical, Action-Directed Workbook by Sidney Simon, et al. New York: Warner Books, 1995